Crispy short crust style bars are ideal for all almond lovers, because they are full of almonds.
These bars are a real energy bomb, as they contain a lot of protein and healthy fats. They are flour-free, instead of flour we used almond meal and oat flour. They are also sugar-free and oil-free and sweetened only with rice syrup.
The bars are extremely brittle and they just melt in your mouth. The intense almond flavour is simply divine. The almond flakes on top are very crispy, because they are mixed with maple syrup, which gives them a wonderful taste and nice golden colour, and makes sure they stick to the dough.
Almond butter is a constant in our kitchen, because it is an excellent substitute for oils and other fats. Real almond butter is only made from roasted almonds, which have a wonderful and intense flavour. In addition to being high in healthy fats that help maintain healthy cholesterol levels, it also contains a lot of vitamin E and magnesium. We often use almond butter when baking desserts, because we simply love the taste of roasted almonds, and in addition, butter is an excellent binder in desserts such as these bars. The butter is very thick and other ingredients, such as ground flakes, stick together nicely.
Ingredients and instructions
These delicious almond bars are extremely easy to prepare and you only need eight ingredients to make them. All you need are:
- peeled almond meal – you can buy almond meal and save time or grind them yourself,
- oat flour – if you don’t eat gluten, you can easily replace it with gluten-free oat flour and make a gluten-free snack,
- rice syrup – you can replace it with agave or maple syrup, but in this case the bars will be a bit sweeter because these contain more sugar,
- almond butter – it’s best to use 100% almond butter, which contains only roasted almonds,
- almond flakes,
- vanilla extract,
- maple syrup and
The process is very simple, you just have to mix all of the ingredients for the dough together, put it in a baking pan and press well so it sticks together. Then you have to mix almond flakes with maple syrup, spread over the dough and press a little so it sticks together. Bake for 15 minutes at 180°C.
You will get about 6 bars using this recipe ,but you can easily double it, because these bars are so good that they are gone in minutes.
If you always like to have some slices for a snack, we have a few more ideas for you:
Vegan almond bars
- 125 g peeled almond meal
- 60 g oat flour
- a pinch of salt
- 60 g rice syrup or agave or maple
- 30 g almond butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 20 g almond flakes
- 20 g maple syrup
- Put almond meal, oat flour and salt in a bowl and mix everything together.
- Add almond butter, rice syrup and vanilla extract and mix everything well together (it doesn't have to stick together, as it is later pressed into a baking pan).
- Place the dough in a baking pan (18 x 12 cm) lined with baking paper and press down well so it sticks together.
- Mix almond flakes with maple syrup and spread them evenly over the dough and press well to stick to the dough.
- Bake for 15 minutes in a preheated oven at 180°C.
- Cut into about 6 pieces and store in a sealed container in the refrigerator.