Juicy cherry pie is so good that it will definitely become a staple in your kitchen as well.
The combination of crispy dough and juicy sweet and sour filling is simply impossible to resist! And the best thing is that it is very simple to make, as it is made with simple ingredients and takes very little time to make. As a bonus the wonderful smell of cherries will fill your home while baking.
Apple pie and cherry pie are our favourite pies, they are so juicy and exceptional in taste. We prefer to use frozen cherries as they are very full of flavour, have a beautiful vivid colour and contain a lot of vitamins and minerals. We use them very often when baking desserts, mostly for fillings for cakes, pies, cheesecake and they are also great for smoothies.
Crispy crust is very easy to prepare, you only need 6 ingredients to make it and the taste and texture are divine. The dough is ideal for all types of sweet pies and is so good that you can even eat it on its own in form of cookies.
All you need is:
- semi-white (or white) and spelt flour,
- baking powder,
- coconut sugar,
- water and
- soya yogurt.
The best part of this pie is definitely the juicy cherry filling, which makes us drool just writing about it. And what’s really amazing is that only 3 ingredients are needed for such a divine filling! Cherries are so tasty on their own that they don’t need a lot of additives, just a little bit of coconut sugar for the right sweetness and some corn starch, which ensures that the filling is not too runny, but still very juicy.
If you love pies, we have a lot of delicious recipes for different types of pies for you, from sweet to savoury, baked in the oven and even no-bake pies. Just click on this link and find your new favorite pie.
Vegan cherry pie
- 150 g semi-white flour (or whole purpouse flour)
- 150 g spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 30 g coconut sugar
- 60 g vegan margarine room temperature
- 75 ml cold water
- 25 g soya yogurt
- 450 g frozen cherries
- 15 g coconut sugar
- 15 g corn starch + 20 ml mixing water
- Put both types of flour in a bowl, add coconut sugar and baking powder and mix.
- Add margarine, soy yogurt and water.
- Mix all the ingredients well and finally knead with your hands to melt the margarine and combine all the ingredients into a uniform mass.
- Cover the dough and let it rest in the fridge for at least half an hour, as it is then easier to shape.
- Put frozen cherries in a pot and let them defrost. You can heat it at a low temperature to defrost faster.
- Leave the liquid formed during defrostin in the pot, as this will make the filling more juicy.
- Add coconut sugar to the cherries, stir and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, mix the starch with water.
- When the cherries are boiling, stirring constantly, stir in the corn starch mixture, reduce to a medium temperature and cook for 3 minutes, stirring several times in between.
- Divide the dough into two parts, one for the bottom (this can be a little bigger) and the other to put on top.
- Roll out the part for the bottom and put it in the pie pan (20 cm diameter).
- Pour the cherry filling on the bottom and cover with another part of the dough.
- Bake for 30 minutes in a preheated oven at 180°C.