An extremely simple, yet delicious apple cake is a great idea how to use up apples.
If you love apple desserts, but are already tired of apple pies, you should try this delicious cake that contains a huge amount of grated apples. Apples make it super tender and soft and in combination with cinnamon they create the perfect fall taste. The cake is very easy to prepare and does not take much time. You can make it in any form you like, as a round cake or a rectangle and cut it into cubes, the choice is entirely yours. We made it in the shape of a regular cake and decorated it with some vegan whipping cream, which goes so well with this cake. But the cake is so good and full of flavor on it’s own, that it actually doesn’t need any cream!
Preparation and ingredients
Preparing the cake is very easy and does not take much time, as you can mix all of the ingredients in one bowl and you already have the batter ready! You can then top it with a sweet cinnamon topping right before baking, which creates a crispy crust on top of the cake and a wonderful taste when baked.
To prepare the batter you need:
- flour – we used half-white, but you can also use another, but in this case you may need to adjust the amount of almond milk,
- ground flax seeds – which need to be soaked in water to form a slimy texture and become an excellent binder,
- cream of tartar – you can also replace it with baking powder,
- coconut sugar – if you do not have coconut sugar, you can easily use plain cane sugar in the same amount,
- almond milk – you can also use any other vegetable milk,
- coconut oil,
- lemon juice,
- vanilla extract and of course
- apples – which need to be grated and finally lightly mixed into the batter.
A delicious topping on top of the cake rounds it all up. It is made with only two ingredients:
- cinnamon and
- agave syrup.
You have to mix the cinnamon and agave syrup well together and then coat the batter with this mixture just before baking. This topping then creates a delicious and crispy crust on top of the cake and provides a great cinnamon taste, which in combination with apples creates a real autumn dessert that fills the whole apartment with a wonderful aroma while baking.
If you like apple desserts, also try apple donuts from oven, apple pie, oat bars or caramelized apples, which are a great addition to pancakes, but are also delicious on their own or as a topping for oatmeal.
Vegan apple cake
- 3 g ground flaxseeds + 15 ml of water
- 280 g half white flour
- 5 g cream of tartar
- 60 g coconut sugar
- 50 g coconut oil
- 250 ml almond milk
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 225 g grated apples
- 20 g agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Mix flaxseeds with water and let soak for 10 minutes.
- In seperate bowl mix flour, tartar and coconut sugar.
- Add presoaked flaxseeds, coconut oil, almond milk, lemon juice and vanilla extract and mix it well together.
- At the end gently mix in grated apples and pour into a cake pan (around 19 cm diameter).
- Za preliv zmešaj agavin sirup in cimet, nato pa z njim premaži testo.
- For the topping mix together agave nectar and cinnamon and put on top of the cake.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 180°C.