This refreshing raw blueberry cake is made with whole, healthy ingredients and is gluten free. Blueberries create an amazing purple colour, so it is also a real feast for the eyes!
Our whole family loves raw desserts, as they are divine in taste, easy to prepare and very healthy, made with whole ingredients. Raw desserts are a really great choice, especially in the summer, because you don’t even need to turn on the oven to prepare them! You certainly don’t want to use oven in this summer heat.
All you need to prepare this amazing cake is a blender and cake pan, as you just need to mix the ingredients for both layer, put them in the pan and then place cake in the fridge to harden. And you already have a delicious, juicy and refreshing summer dessert ready. This cake is free of refined sugar and gluten, so it is also suitable for those who do not eat gluten.
Like most raw cakes, this cake is made with nuts, dried fruits, fresh fruit, maple syrup and coconut oil. You only need a few ingredients to create a delicious and juicy dessert.
The base of the cake is made from:
- dried figs and dates, which are an excellent binder in raw desserts and also make them very sweet, so there is no need to add other sweeteners to the base of the cake,
- walnuts and almonds, which are great for preparing raw dessert bases, as they bind nicely to dates and figs and together form a delicious and healthy dough,
- coconut oil – that ensures that the base hardens a bit and becomes nicely firm.
Blueberry cream contains:
- cashews and walnuts, which have to be pre-soaked in water, so that they become nicely soft and create a creamy texture when blended,
- blueberries, which are of course the main ingredient, as they give the cake a wonderful purple colour and an exceptional fruity taste,
- maple syrup, which makes the cream nicely sweet and
- coconut oil, which is essential for the wonderful texture of the cream, as it hardens in the refrigerator overnight and makes the cream silky smooth.
We used walnuts and almonds in this recipe to prepare the base, but if you are not a fan of any of these nuts, you can easily replace them with other nuts, such as hazelnuts, macadamia nuts…
Raw desserts are really easy to prepare, so anyone can prepare them, you don’t need to be an expert. They’re done quickly and there is a huge variety of flavours and ways to decorate them, so you can be very creative. Since we have a lot of blueberries at home, we just had to make something amazing with them.
Prepare the base for the cake by soaking dried figs and dates overnight, drain them the next day, squeeze out the excess water and blend them into a cream. Add coconut oil and stir, then gradually add ground almonds and walnuts and mix together. Place the dough in a cake pan and place in the fridge.
For the cream, first soak the cashews and walnuts overnight to soften them, then rinse them, put in a blender along with all of the other ingredients and blend into a smooth cream. Pour cream onto the base and place in the fridge overnight to harden. The next day decorate the cake as you wish, we decorated it with fresh blueberries, frozen raspberries, nuts and dried flowers, which make the cake even more colourful.
We have a lot of recipes for raw desserts on our blog, because we really love them! If you are also a fan of raw desserts, be sure to check out these recipes:
Raw blueberry cake
- 80 g dry figs
- 50 g dried dates
- 100 g walnut meal
- 100 g almond meal
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 150 g cashew nuts
- 50 g walnuts
- 300 g fresh blueberries or thawed frozen
- 60 g maple syrup
- 60 g coconut oil
- Soak cashews and walnuts in water overnight. In another bowl, soak figs and dates together.
- Rinse pre-soaked figs and dates and blend into a smooth cream with a stick mixer.
- Add coconut oil and mix it in.
- Gradually add the almond and walnut meal and keep mixing.
- Line the cake tin with baking paper and sprinkle a little bit of ground almonds on it to keep the cake from sticking.
- Press the dough in the pan to form the base and put it in the fridge.
- Rinse pre-soaked cashews and walnuts. Put them in a blender with the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend into a smooth cream.
- Pour cream on the base and put it in the fridge overnight to allow the cream to harden nicely.
- If desired, decorate and cut into pieces.
- Store cake in the fridge.