This extremely juicy cherry cake is great for birthdays or if you just want something sweet.
We are in charge of birthday cakes in our family because everyone loves our vegan cakes (even non-vegan) because they are very juicy, almond cake is extremely tender and the cream is very rich. Preparing vegan cakes is easier than non-vegan ones, as it is egg-free, which means there is no need to whip egg whites, mix yolks … You can simply replace eggs with ground flax seeds mixed with water so they get slimy and thus become an excellent binder.
This time we decided to go for a classic flavour that never disappoints – cherries with whipped cream. Cake consists of three tender almond cake layers and cherries with whipped cream in between.
Ingredients and procedure
All three layers of cake are the same, so preparation is very easy and doesn’t take too much time. You only need to make one batter and then evenly divide it into three baking pans and bake. If you only have one baking pan, you can bake cakes one after the other, just make sure to rinse baking tray with cold water to cool it before pouring next batter into it. First you have to mix flour, almond meal, baking powder and coconut sugar, then add vanilla extract, almond milk, rice syrup, coconut oil and presoaked flaxseeds.
Cream consists of two parts, cherries and vegan whipped cream. We always use frozen cherries to make desserts, as they have much more intense taste and color from pickled ones. You also need water, syrup and cornstarch for the cream. Allow the cherries to thaw, add water, bring to a boil, stir in the mixture of cornstarch and water and cook, then allow to cool slightly.
Making a cake
If the cakes have a rounded top, cut them to make them flat, and then you can start assembling the cake. Take one cake, place it on a flat surface and moisten with plant based milk to make the cake really juicy. Then coat the cake with half of the cherry cream, spread half of the whipped cream on it and cover with another cake and repeat the process. Pour melted chocolate over the last layer and decorate as desired.
We recommend you to let the cake rest in the fridge for at least a day so that the flavors can develop and combine nicely so the cake becomes more juicy. Store it in a sealed container in the refrigerator, where it will stay good for a few more days.
Vegan cherry cake
- 30 g flax seeds + 100 ml of water
- 600 g semi-white flour or all purpouse flour
- 125 g almond meal
- 20 g baking powder
- 120 g coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7.5 dl almond milk or any other plant-based milk
- 60 g rice syrup or agave or maple
- 40 g coconut oil
- 500 g frozen cherries
- 30 ml water
- 30 g rice syrup
- 30 g corn starch 40 ml water
- 300 g vegan whipped cream
- Mix flax seeds with water and let soak for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients (flour, ground almonds, baking powder and coconut sugar).
- In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients (almond milk, vanilla extract, rice syrup, coconut oil and pre-soaked flaxseed).
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and mix well with a hand mixer.
- Divide the batter evenly into three baking trays with a diameter of 25 cm and bake for 25 minutes at 180°C. (If you only have one baking tray, you can bake one cake first, then the second and third.)
- Allow the cakes to cool on the cooling rack.
- Put cherries in a pot and let them thaw.
- Add water and syrup to the cherries and bring to a boil.
- When it starts boiling, slowly stir in the mixture of corn starch and water and cook for 3 minutes, stirring several times in between, then let the filling cool down a bit.
- If almond cakes are rounded at the top, cut off the top to make them flat.
- Take one almond cake, place it on a flat surface, moisten with a few tablespoons (about 7 tablespoons) of almond milk, coat with half of the cherry filling, and spread half of the whipped cream on the filling.
- Cover with another cake and repeat the process.
- Cover the cake with chocolate if desired, and spread whipped cream on the edges.
- Decorate it as you wish.
- Put the cake in the fridge overnight so that the layers combine nicely.