Vegan cake, that is impossible to resist! Three layers of juicy almond cake with chocolate and raspberry cream between them will definitely impress you.
Homemade cakes are the best and always taste much better than store bought, so we always bake them ourselves for birthdays. Everybody loves them, even non vegans, that usually can’t believe that they are completely vegan!
This time we baked a chocolate-raspberry cake, which is a perfect combination of flavours that you should definitely try too, because it tastes amazing. It’s also a bit healthier than most of other cakes, because it is refined sugar free and there’s even a vegetable hidden in it! Don’t worry, you can’t really taste it, because of all the other ingredients, but it does create a perfect texture and adds a few extra vitamins to the cake.
Almond cake used as a base for this cake is very soft and juicy. It tastes wonderful, because of almond meal and has a great fluffy texture, created by aquafaba. If you don’t use aquafaba in your kitchen or don’t even know what it is, you should definitely try it, because it’s a perfect ingredient for desserts. Aquafaba is basically just the liquid from a can of chickpeas or liquid in which chickpeas were cooked. We usually buy dried chickpeas and then cook it ourselves. When it’s cooked we put it in the fridge together with water in which we cooked it and leave it in the fridge for at least a few hours or even better overnight. It becomes thicker and can be used in a similar way as egg whites. Just add a bit of sugar and whisk until it gets very thick.
Chocolate and raspberry cream
Chocolate and raspberry cream between layers of almond cake make this cake truly heavenly! Chocolate and raspberry flavour go together really well and create a perfect taste.
The chocolate cream is extremely creamy and full of flavour, because it is made with lots of dark chocolate, cacao and some rum. And the main ingredient of this cream is sweet potato! It’s a perfect ingredient for the cream because of its sweet taste and creamy texture. This cream is really simple to make and the taste is incredible! You could never guess that it is made with sweet potato. It is actually our favourite chocolate cream and we make it all the time for all kinds of desserts. We use it for oat bars, chocolate truffles, chocolate pie and even chocolate eggs!
Raspberry cream is also very simple to make, all you need are raspberries (frozen or fresh), syrup and corn starch (or pudding powder). If you love raspberries, you will be amazed by this cream. And if you are not the biggest fan of raspberries, you can use strawberries, cherries, blueberries or some other kind of berries instead.
When you combine almond cake, chocolate cream and raspberry cream, you get incredible juicy cake. Then you can get creative and decorate it as you wish. We used vegan whipped cream and mixed it with dried strawberry powder to get a nice pink colour and amazing strawberry taste. Then we added some wonderful flowers. You can also cover it with melted chocolate or any kind of vegan icing, it’s completely up to you!
- 720 g half white flour
- 125 g almond meal we used the ones whitout skin
- 30 g baking powder
- 150 g coconut sugar
- 1 vanilla sugar
- 100 g coconut oil
- 20 g almond butter
- 800 ml rice milk
- 190 g aquafaba water from a can of chickpeas
- 600 g sweet potato weighed with skin
- 150 g dark chocolate
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons rum
- a pinch of salt
- 120 ml rice milk
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 kg frozen raspberries you can also use fresh raspberries
- 100 ml raspberry syrup
- 40 g corn starch or pudding powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- Mix all dry ingredients together (flour, almonds, baking powder, sugar and vanilla sugar).
- Add a mixture of rice milk, coconut oil and almond butter and mix it all together.
- In another bowl prepare aquafaba: mix it with a spoon of sugar until it gets very thick.
- Slowly mix aquafaba into batter.
- Separate batter into 3 equal parts and bake each one in a cake mold for around 20 to 25 minutes on 180°C.
- Peel and cook sweet potato, remove water and mash it.
- Add chocolate to sweet potato while it's still hot and let it melt.
- Add all of the other ingredients and mix it together in a blender until you get a smooth cream.
- Let it cool down a bit and it will also get thicker because the chocolate will start to harden.
- On low heat slowly cook raspberries. If you are using frozen raspberries remove the excess water when they melt.
- When raspberries are soft add syrup and bring it all to a boil.
- When it starts boiling, slowly mix in corn starch mixed with a bit of syrup and coconut sugar. Keep mixing so that there won't be any lumps.
- Lower the heat and cook it all for 5 more minutes and mix from time to time.
- Let it cool down.
Assembling the cake
- It's the easiest to assemble cake in a pan and leeave it in the fridge overnight.
- Put one almond cake on the bottom of the pan, spread one half of chocolate cream on it and then add one half of raspberry cream ontop of chocolate cream.
- Cover with another almond cake, press together and repeat all of the layers again.
- Finish with a third almond cake and press it together. Then cover it and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day carefully take it out of the pan and decorate as you wish.