Semolina porridge is a delicious dish with creamy texture that is perfect for a quick and simple breakfast or even dessert.
Semolina porridge was our favourite breakfast when we were growing up and we also had it several times for lunch at school, so it always reminds us of our childhood. We always ate it with chocolate powder, and in addition, we put a piece or two of chocolate in the middle of hot semolina, so it melted and made the dish even better. If you have no idea what to make for breakfast or want to spice it up with new dishes, make this delicious semolina porridge. It is easy to prepare, with just a few ingredients and has really great taste and creamy texture.
There are just 2 main ingredients you need to make it: semolina and plant based milk, then you can add other ingredients to your liking. We like to eat it with cocoa powder, but we also add a pinch of salt and vanilla extract for a really great taste. You can also add cinnamon, jam, fruits, pieces of chocolate, etc. The possibilities are endless! If you use plant based milk without sugar, you can add erythritol, sugar, or syrup to sweeten it up. You can add more or less plant based milk, depending on how thick semolina porridge you want. We prefer a medium thick that is not runny and at the same time not very hard.
Ingredients and procedure
Semolina porridge is very easy to prepare and you only need 5 ingredients to make it.
These ingredients are:
- plant based milk – use your favorite one,
- vanilla extract,
- cocoa or chocolate powder – if you want a sweet dish, use chocolate powder as cocoa is more bitter.
Slowly stir semolina in boiling milk, stir constantly so there are no lumps. Cook on low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring several times in between. Finally, add salt and vanilla extract, pour into a bowl and sprinkle with chocolate powder. If you prefer fruit dishes, instead of chocolate one, add jam, sliced fruit (bananas, strawberries, raspberries) and pour over some syrup (maple, agave, rice).
Vegan semolina porridge
- 320 ml plant based drink
- 40 g semolina
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- cocoa powder
- Pour plant based drink of your choice into a pot and bring to a boil.
- When it starts boiling, slowly pour in semolina and stir to prevent lumps.
- Reduce the heat and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring several times.
- Finally, add salt and vanilla extract and stir.
- Pour into a bowl and sprinkle with cocoa powder on top.