Enjoy these cold autumn days with an amazing soft babka filled with delicious and creamy chestnut filling.
There are a lot of chestnuts in the forest this year, so now is the right time to bake this amazing chestnut babka! This is a great autumn dessert that is very unique in both, taste and shape. The chestnut filling is very creamy and in combination with spelt flour dough it makes babka extremely soft and tender.
Chestnut babka is a great dessert, but it’s also a perfect breakfast, especially with a cup of hot beverage. We like it best when it’s fresh from the oven and still warm, but it’s as delicious when cold. In a closed container it remains very soft and tender for a few days. You can also cut it into pieces, freeze, and take it out, whenever you want a piece of delicious dessert.
The filling is extremely creamy and makes the whole dessert very soft, tender and tasty. You need just a few ingredients for the filling, and the preparation is very simple, what takes the most time is actually peeling the chestnuts, because you need 500 g of it, but if you buy peeled chestnuts, it really takes only a few minutes. All you need for the filling is:
- maple syrup,
- coconut milk (canned),
- cocoa powder and
- vanilla extract.
Simple and healthy ingredients that create a very delicious chestnut cream that you can also eat on it’s own.
You can make this dessert in different shapes. You can just roll it, but if you want to be a little creative, you can braid it the way we did. We really like this braided babka, because a part of the filling also bakes and becomes a bit crispy. It is also looks very beautiful. braiding it is very easy, first you roll the dough into a big thin square and coat it with chestnut filling. Then you roll it, cut it in the middle on both sides and intertwine the two parts with each other. It’s best to watch the video below and see how easy it is to make.
If you want to make other yeast dough desserts, you should definitely check out the recipes below:
- braided sweet bread,
- chocolate-coconut roll,
- carob rolls,
- walnut roll,
- potratna potica,
- walnut flower.
For easier preparation watch our video recipe and see how to make babka.
Vegan chestnut babka
- 500 g spelt flour
- 7 g dry yeast
- 20 g coconut sugar
- 20 g coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 280 ml almond milk or other plantbased milk
- 500 g boiled and peeled chestnuts
- 40 g maple syrup
- 300 g canned coconut milk
- 10 g cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sift flour into a bowl and make a dent in the middle.
- Sprinkle salt on the edge and put all the other ingredients in the middle.
- Mix the dough slowly with a wooden spatula, then knead well with your hands.
- Cover the dough and let it rest in a warm place for at least 45 minutes.
- In a blender mix all the ingredients for the filling into a smooth cream.
- Once the dough has raised roll it out into a big thin square.
- Coat the whole dough with cream and roll it up.
- Once rolled, transfer it to a baking tray, lined with baking paper and intertwine as shown in the video.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 180°C.
- Sprinkle babka with powdered sugar if desired.