Soft chocolate dough with delicious coconut filling for all dessert lovers!
This chocolate coconut roll or potica as we call it in Slovenia is an amazing and incredibly delicious dessert. Potica is a traditional Slovenian dessert made with yeast dough and filling and rolled to make a nice spiral. The classic one is made without chocolate and is filled with walnuts (you can find it here). But this time we’ve decided to make a bit different version of it, because who doesn’t love chocolate and coconut! This is one of our favourite combinations for dessert. All the chocolate lovers will be thrilled about it, I assure you.
For this intense dark color we used cacao powder, that gave dessert delicious chocolaty taste. We filled dough with juicy and tasty coconut cream, that really adds the flavour to the whole dessert. It’s a great dessert to make for Easter holidays, that everybody will love.
Coconut filling is made with just 4 simple ingredients: coconut, aquafaba, agave syrup and rice milk. Because coconut is very sweet on it’s own, you don’t need to add a lot of other sweeteners. The key ingredient is aquafaba that makes the whole filling really soft and creamy. Aquafaba is water that is left when cooking chickpeas or from canned chickpeas and can be used in a similar way as egg whites. When you mix it, it becomes really thick and if you gently mix it into batter, it makes it very soft.
It’s important that you make this dough in a very warm place, so it can rise nicely and it will be softer when baked.
You have to cover it with kitchen towel or with lid when it’s resting. We like to use reusable lids, since they are really practical and eco friendly. And we love to store roll in a bowl covered with lid, to keep it soft, otherwise it can dry out.
We also made a video, so you can see how we made it.
Chocolate coconut roll
- 250 g flour
- pinch of salt
- 5 g dry yeast
- 15 g coconut sugar
- 50 g cacao powder
- 18 g coconut oil
- 180 ml rice milk
- 150 g coconut flour
- 100 ml rice milk
- 30 g agave syrup
- 50 g aquafaba
- Mix flour, salt, dry yeast, coconut sugar and cacao powder.
- Add coconut oil and rice milk and mix it together until you get a soft dough.
- Cover it and let it rest in a warm place for at least 40 minutes.
- Mix coconut flour, rice milk and agave syrup.
- In a separate bowl blend aquafaba until it becomes really thick. It shouldn't move when you turn it upside down.
- Add to coconut filling and gently mix in.
- Cover the surface with flour.
- Put a bit of flour on the dough and roll it into a rectangle.
- Spread coconut filling on the dough.
- Roll it tightly.
- Put in a pan, cover and let it rest in warm place for 30 minutes.
- Bake on 180°C for 30 minutes.