You need to try this quick and easy recipe for juicy cake roll filled with jam, especially if you love fruits!
The preparation of the cake is quite simple and you only need 7 ingredients to make it:
- spelt flour – is a healthier substitute for classic white flour, as it is rich in protein, vitamins B, E, magnesium and zinc and is also easy to digest,
- baking powder
- coconut sugar – you can also replace it with brown cane sugar if you like,
- soy yoghurt – creates a soft and juicy dough that is easy to roll. We use soy yogurt with no added sugar, you can also use sweetened, but in this case the cake roll will be sweeter. Choose the yogurt that suits your taste best,
- almond milk – you can also use some other plant based milk, for example rice, oat …,
- agave syrup and
- coconut oil.
We used strawberry jam for the filling, but you can also use other types of jams: apricot, plum, cherry … If you are not the biggest fan of fruit flavours, you can still enjoy this cake, just use vegan chocolate or hazelnut spread instead of jam.
You can sprinkle some powdered sugar on top of cake roll for the perfect look. We used erythritol powder, which is very similar to sugar, but healthier and has zero calories.
Preparing cake roll may seem difficult at first, but this is not the case if you follow the next steps:
- Firstly, mix all of the ingredients together to get a smooth batter, pour it onto a baking pan lined with baking paper and spread all over the baking pan into a thin layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 180 ° C.
- As soon as you take it out of the oven, place the dough on a wet kitchen cloth and roll it together with the cloth and place the edges of the cloth under the roll so that it is completely wrapped.
Note: Boil kitchen cloth so that the cake won’t taste like detergent.
- Wait for the roll to cool down. Then roll it out, spread strawberry jam on top and roll it. Sprinkle some powdered sugar on top.
- Store the cake roll in a sealed container in the refrigerator, where it can last up to 5 days.
Vegan cake roll
- 250 g spelt flour
- 7 g baking powder
- 25 g coconut sugar
- 190 g soy yogurt
- 150 ml almond milk
- 40 g agave syrup
- 30 g coconut oil
- 200 g strawberry jam
- In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder and coconut sugar.
- Add soy yogurt, almond milk, agave syrup and melted coconut oil.
- Mix all of the ingredients and make sure there are no lumps.
- Place the baking paper on the baking tray (approx. 34 x 28 cm) and pour the batter on it and spread it evenly over the entire baking tray.
- Bake at 180°C for about 10 minutes.
- Once baked, place on a wet kitchen cloth, roll together with the cloth and allow to cool down.
- When the dough has cooled down roll it out and spread strawberry jam on top and roll it into a roll.
- Sprinke with powdered sugar on top.