Soft and fluffy carob rolls for perfect start of the day!
These rolls always remind us of our childhood, because we had them for breakfast so often when we were younger! We usually ate them with milk or chocolate milk and enjoyed every bite of it. You can also get them in almost every bakery here in Slovenia, but unfortunately, they are not vegan. So we decided to creat our own vegan carob rolls and they’re even better than we remember! They are really soft and fluffy and taste amazing!
We usually have smoothies or oats for breakfast but sometimes we love having some kind of rolls or buns! We usually have a cheat day on Sunday’s and we bake some sweet buns or rolls and enjoy them with our family.
These rolls are pretty simple to make and taste amazing. If you love carob, you’ll love those. Carob is really sweet so you won’t need to add to much sugar. Although it’s sweet, it doesn’t have a lot of sugar and is actually really healthy because it has a lot of antioxidants and fiber.
If you want to prepare them, here is a recipe and you can also watch a video of how they’re made.
Vegan carob rolls
Ingredients for the dough:
- 40 g 2/5 cup fresh yeast
- 700 g 5 cups flour
- 400 ml 1.7 cup rice milk
- 25 g 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 25 g 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
Ingredients for the carob mixture:
- 200 g 2 cups of carob powder
- 350 ml 1.5 cup rice milk
- 5 teaspoons of rum
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla sugar or some vanilla extract
- 40 g 3 tablespoons of coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
Prepared yeast is made from:
- fresh yeast you can also use dry yeast,
- 6 tablespoons of warm but not hot! water,
- 1 tablespoon spoon of flour
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar.
- Mix this together and put it on a warm place until it raises.
- Put flour in a bowl and add salt on the outer circle.
- Put prepared yeast, coconut sugar, coconut oil and rice milk in the middle and mix it together until you get a soft dough(add milk if it is too dry and flour if it is too sticky).
- Cover it and let it rest in a warm place.
- Pour the carob with boiled rice milk.
- Add all of the other ingredients and mix together.
- Once the dough has raised roll it out into a big thin square and spread with carob mixture.
- Roll it, press it down a little bit and cut into 9 pieces(you can cut the ends away if you want all of the rolls to look the same).
- If there is some flour on the rolls remove it with water.
- Bake them on 175C(350F) for around 30-40 minutes.
- Cover with powdered sugar and enjoy