Creating a buckwheat bowl is a delightful culinary adventure full of different possibilities. Here’s a simple yet delicious recipe to get you started.
The Beauty of Buckwheat
Buckwheat, despite its name, is not actually a type of wheat. It’s a seed that’s packed with nutrients and offers a ton of health benefits. It’s naturally gluten-free, making it an excellent choice for those with gluten sensitivities or celiac disease. Buckwheat is a fantastic source of protein, fiber, essential minerals like magnesium and potassium, and heart-healthy antioxidants. It has a ton of nutritional Benefits:
- Rich in Protein: Buckwheat is an excellent plant-based source of protein, making it a staple for vegetarian and vegan diets. It contains all nine essential amino acids, making it a complete protein source that supports muscle growth and repair.
- Complex Carbohydrates: The carbohydrates found in buckwheat are complex, meaning they provide a steady release of energy over time. This can help stabilize blood sugar levels and keep you feeling full for longer periods of time.
- Fiber Powerhouse: Fiber is crucial for digestive health and buckwheat contains a healthy dose of both soluble and insoluble fibers. This aids in promoting a healthy gut, preventing constipation and supporting overall digestion.
- Heart Health: Buckwheat contains compounds such as rutin that have been linked to improved cardiovascular health. These compounds may help reduce blood pressure and lower cholesterol levels.
- Micronutrient Marvel: Buckwheat is rich in essential vitamins and minerals, including magnesium, potassium, B vitamins and antioxidants. These play various roles in maintaining overall well-being.
We love using buckwheat for both savoury and sweet dishes, because it’s very diverse and can be used in so many ways.This time we made a simple and delicious colourful bowl, which is gluten-free, easy to make, packed with vitamins and very tasty. To top it all off, we added a lot of spices!
- buckwheat porridge,
- bell pepper,
- sweet corn and
- spices: salt, black pepper, sweet paprika powder, dry basil and oregano and turmeric.
Colorful vegan buckwheat bowl
- 500 g cooked buckwheat porridge (150 g before cooking)
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 80 ml water
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 120 g sweet corn
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- a pinch of black pepper
- Peel and chop the onion and garlic, and cut the pepper into small pieces.
- Put all of the vegetables together with water in a pan and bring to a boil.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, then add all of the spices and cooked buckwheat and mix well.
- Cook everything together for another 1 to 2 minutes, then serve and decorate with fresh parsley if desired.