There is nothing better than a delicious homemade pizza, especially if it is made from scratch, from dough to vegan cheese! And without oil!
Homemade vegan pizza is definitely one of our favourite dishes! We love the fact that you can prepare it exactly to your liking with different toppings and make a slightly different version each time. It is really easy to make and you can make it completely from scratch, from pizza dough to vegan cheese!
This time we made a very simple and tasty pizza with just a few toppings – we coated the dough with tomato sauce, added dried basil and oregano, and topped it with vegan cheese and fresh tomatoes. Of course, you can prepare pizza exactly to your taste, maybe add some vegetables (corn, zucchini, asparagus …), mushrooms, vegan salami, etc. You can use the store-bought vegan cheese substitute for the pizza, or you can use our recipe and prepare your own, as it is really easy to prepare, and it is even healthier than the store-bought one! It is made from cashew nuts, which are a healthy source of fat, nutritional yeast, that creates a cheesy flavour, water, salt, lemon juice and tapioca flour.
This delicious pizza with thin dough and homemade cheese, which gets a nice crispy crust when baked, will surely impress you. We like to treat our family with this delicious pizza, which is always gone in seconds!
Ingredients and procedure
Pizza is very easy to prepare, as both the dough and the cheese are made with just a few ingredients.
You only need 4 ingredients for the dough:
- spelt flour,
- dry yeast,
- salt and
- lukewarm water.
First, mix all of the dry ingredients, add lukewarm water and mix and knead into a dough. Let it rest for at least 30 minutes in a warm place to rise.
To make a vegan cheese substitute, you need:
- cashew nuts,
- nutritional yeast – which creates a cheese-like flavour,
- lemon juice and
- tapioca flour – you can also use cornstarch as it thickens the liquid in a similar way.
Cashews need to be pre-soaked in water to soften. They can be soaked in lukewarm water overnight or soaked in hot water for at least half an hour. Put the soaked cashews together with the rest of the ingredients in a blender and blend into a smooth mixture. Pour this mixture into a pot, bring to a boil and cook for a few minutes to thicken, stirring constantly.
Roll out the risen dough in a round shape on a floured surface, spread with tomato sauce and sprinkle with dried oregano and basil. Then evenly spread the cheese mixture on it and add sliced tomatoes. Bake for 20 minutes at 200 °C.
If you love this recipe, make sure to also check out our recipe for vegan focaccia.
Pizza with homemade vegan cheese
- 120 g (1 cup) spelt flour
- 5 g (1 tsp) dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) lukewarm water
- 40 g (1/3 cup) cashew nuts
- 150 ml (2/3 cup) water
- 5 g (2 tbsps) nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 12 g (2 tbsps) tapioca flour (or corn starch)
- 70 g (1/3 cup) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 fresh tomatoes
- Put all of the dry ingredients in a bowl, mix, add water and knead into a dough.
- Leave the dough in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Soak cashews in lukewarm water overnight to soften them.
- Rinse soaked cashews and place in a blender, along with all of the other ingredients, and blend into a smooth liquid.
- Pour into a pot and bring to a boil. When it starts to boil, stir constantly and cook for a few minutes to thicken.
- On a floured surface roll out the risen dough into a circle.
- Coat it with tomato sauce and sprinkle with basil and oregano.
- Spread the cheese evenly on the dough.
- Add sliced tomatoes and bake for 20 minutes at 200 ° C (400 °F).