The combination of crispy dough and sweet and sour rhubarb filling is perfect for these hot spring days.
Rhubarb stems are a great ingredient for desserts, as they have a pleasant refreshing taste and are very healthy and versatile. Rhubarb is great in compotes, strudels, muffins and other pastries. Because much of rhubarb is water, it has very few calories and is high in vitamin C, B vitamins, vitamin K, potassium, calcium, manganese and strengthens the immune system.
This time we prepared a delicious rhubarb galette, which is very similar to a pie, the only difference is that we don’t need a special baking pan, as we shape the dough freely: roll out the dough, spread the filling in the middle and fold the dough over the filling. Preparation is very easy and fast, so it is suitable for both beginners and experienced masters in the kitchen. Although it’s very easy to prepare, the taste and appearance are divine. The sweet and sour rhubarb filling and crispy dough sprinkled with powdered sugar create an extremely refreshing dessert. If you are not a fan of rhubarb, you can also use other fruits (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, apples) for the filling and create your own version of the galette.
Ingredients and procedure
You only need a total of 9 ingredients to make this delicious and easy dessert.
Dough is made with:
- spelt flour,
- almond meal,
- coconut sugar – can also use white, brown sugar or erythritol,
- margarine – room temperature,
- plant based yogurt – you can use soy, almonds, coconut, oat yogurt and
Put the ingredients in a bowl and mix them well to get a compact dough. Let it rest for half an hour in the refrigerator. Meanwhile, prepare the filling.
For the filling you need:
- coconut sugar – you can use any sugar,
- orange peel and
- beetroot juice – for a vivid pink color.
Roll out the dough, put the filling in the middle and fold the edges of the dough over it. Coat the dough with maple syrup and bake for 20 minutes at 180 °C. When the dessert is baked, sprinkle it with powdered sugar if desired.
All pie lovers, check out the following recipes on our blog:
Vegan rhubarb galette
- 180 g 1 ⅓ cup spelt flour
- 60 g ½ cup almond meal
- 20 g 2 tbsps coconut sugar
- 60 g ⅓ cup margarine
- 60 g ¼ cup plant-based yogurt
- 40 ml 3 tbsps water
- 500 g / 17 oz rhubarb
- 30 g 3 tbsps of coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange peel
- 1 tablespoon beetroot juice
- 10 g 1 tbs maple syrup
- Put flour, almond meal, coconut sugar, room temperature margarine, plant-based yoghurt and water in a bowl and mix well.
- Cover the dough and let it rest in the fridge for at least half an hour.
- Peel rhubarb, cut it into small pieces and place in a bowl. Add coconut sugar, orange peel and beetroot juice and mix.
- Put cooled dough on a baking sheet and roll it out into a circle about 30 cm in diameter.
- Put the filling in the middle of the crust, a bit from the edge and fold the edges over the filling. Coat the edge with maple syrup.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 180 ° C.
- Once it is baked, sprinkle it with erythritol or powdered sugar if desired.