Focaccia is an amazing Italian bread! It’s crispy on the outside and really soft on the inside.
It is pretty thin and topped with some delicious veggies and spices. The texture and flavour are just outstanding! And who doesn’t love freshly baked bread?! Focaccia is basically an upgraded bread with lots of flavours. It makes a great breakfast, lunch or dinner and it’s really great to have as a snack.
One of the key ingredients is olive oil. It is the secret to crispy crust and is also important in making the inside really soft and fluffy. We recommend using cold pressed olive oil, as it is way healthier than other kinds, and also has some health benefits.
What makes Focaccia really delicious are the toppings! This time we decided to go with cherry tomatoes and fresh basil, because we really love this combo. But you can of course add your preffered toppings. One of the most usual are rosemary, olives, onions… You can choose whatever spices and veggies you like the most!
Making Focaccia bread
Preparing Focaccia dough is really easy, but it takes some time, because you have let the dough rest, so it can rise and become fluffy. After rising first time, you place it in a baking pan and nicely coat it with olive oil (about 2 tbsp). Using your fingers, poke holes all over the dough. Then you add your prefered toppings. We added some cherry tomatoes and fresh basil to bring all the flavors together for extra deliciousness. Once you are done with toppings, cover dough with wet kitchen towel and let it rest for another 15 minutes so it can rise again.
We also filmed a video of how to make focaccia bread!
Vegan Focaccia bread
- 450 g flour
- 20 g fresh yeast
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 250 ml warm water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- cherry tomato and fresh basil
- First prepare yeast: mix fresh yeast(you can also use dry yeast and skip this step), 6 spoons of warm water, 1 tablespoon of flour and 1 teaspoon of brown sugar, put it in a warm place and let it rise.
- Put flour in a bowl and add salt on the outer circle.
- In the middle put prepared yeast, warm water and olive oil.
- Mix it together until you get a soft dough. (You can add water if it's too dry or flour if it's too sticky).
- Cover it and let it rest in a warm place for around 45 minutes.
- Put dough in a baking pan and cover it with a lot of oil (2 tbsp). Using your finger, poke holes all over the dough.
- Top the dough with cherry tomatoes, fresh basil and a pinch of salt.
- Cover with warm kitchen towel and let it rest for another 15 minutes.
- Bake 20-25 min on 200°C.