Fresh soft sweet buns are a perfect Sunday breakfast, that will fill your house with an amazing smell.
Sweet buns, made by this recipe, are extremely soft, fluffy and absolutely delicious. Yeast dough is really soft, because it has to rise multiple times and this makes it very fluffy and rich blueberry filling in the middle gives the buns an outstanding taste. If you sprinkle some powdered sugar on top, you get mouth watering dessert or even breakfast, which goes great with some cup of hot cocoa or coffee.
We almost always eat oats or smoothies for breakfast, but sometimes we treat ourself and our family on weekends with these delicious homemade buns! They are the best fresh from the oven, when they are still warm and super soft. You simply can’t resist them! They are always gone in minutes, because everybody in our family loves them.
Preparation is really simple, all you need are 7 simple ingredients and jam of your choice. We really love to use blueberry or apricot jam, but you can use your prefered one. It’s best if it’s really thick, so it won’t leak out of the buns, when they are baking. You can also fill buns with some delicious vegan chocolate spread or even vanilla cream, choice is completely yours!
Yeast and dough have to rise, so it takes some time to make these buns, but the wait is totally worth it! They are the best served fresh from the oven, because they are the softest and fluffiest then, but you can also eat them later or even the next day.
Other yeast desserts
We love making yeast desserts, because of their amazing texture and so many filling possibilities. You can check out our recipes for carob rolls, yeast dumpling, walnut flower, chocolate vanilla donuts and other delicious recipes.
You can also watch our video recipe for easier preparation.
Vegan sweet buns with blueberries
- 40 g fresh yeast or 9g dry yeast
- 700 g half white flour
- 400 ml rice milk or other plant based milk
- 25 g coconut oil
- 25 g coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 jar blueberry jam (you can also use strawberrry, plum or other flavour)
Prepared yeast is made from
- 42 g fresh yeast
- 6 tablespoon warm water (not hot)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- For prepared yeast mix all ingredients (yeast, water, flour, sugar) together and put it on a warm place until it raises (for about 15 minutes).
- Put flour in a bowl and add salt on the outer circle.
- Put prepared yeast (or dry yeast), coconut sugar, coconut oil and rice milk in the middle and mix it together until you get a soft dough.
- Cover it and let it rest in a warm place for at least 30 minutes.
- Separate dough into around 8 equal parts.
- Form each piece of dough into a circle, put 2 teaspoons of jam in the middle, close it and shape into a ball and put in a pan.
- Let the buns rise for another 15 minutes.
- Bake them on 180°C for around 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle them with powdered sugar and enjoy.