Healthy and delicious pumpkin gnocchi made with only 4 ingredients are a perfect lunch.
Hokkaido pumpkins are a great ingredient for cooking, because they can be used to prepare a huge variety of dishes, even gnocchi! Pumpkins provide exceptional texture and the perfect taste to gnocchi and they are also very healthy and a great alternative to potatoes, which are usually the main ingredient for gnocchi. These gnocchi are very healthy as they contain a huge amount of pumpkins and no fat. Pumpkins have a huge amount of vitamins and minerals such as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, beta-carotene, vitamins A, B and C, that strengthen the immune system, which is even more important in these times. They also contain a lot of water and therefore have very few calories.
Gnocchi go really well with creamy mushroom sauce, but of course you can also make any other sauce (tomato, curry, “cream” …) along. They can also be prepared in other ways, for example you can fry them in a pan, fry in oil or in an air fryer. You can also easily freeze them and when you want, just throw them in boiling water for a few minutes, prepare the sauce and you already have a delicious lunch, perfect for days when you don’t have much time to cook. Just be sure to freeze them separately first (for example, stacked on a cutting board) and only then put them together in a container or bag, as this will prevent them from sticking together.
Ingredients and preparation
Preparing gnocchi is very easy and does not take much time, all you need to prepare are 4 simple ingredients:
- pumpkin – this is of course the main ingredient that gives gnocchi a nice orange-yellow colour and a wonderful taste,
- flour – we use semi-white flour, but you can also use white (if you use spelt or rye flour you may need to adjust the quantities a bit),
- corn starch – ensures the right texture, so that they do not fall apart while cooking and
- salt – which brings out the flavours.
If you usually buy gnocchi in a store because you find the preparation too demanding, now is the right time to try making them yourself. The preparation is quite simple: just cook the pumpkins, mash them, add salt and corn starch, then gradually add the flour, mix and finally knead with your hands. Then you shape the gnocchi as desired, you can for example make rolls, balls and press them with a fork, or you can make a long roll and cut it into small equal pieces.
If you love pumpkin dishes, check out our other recipes made with this extremely versatile ingredient. You can prepare both sweet and savoury dishes with it! You can find our whole collection of pumpkin recipes at this link.
Vegan pumpkin gnocchi
- 200 g cooked hokkaido pumpkin
- 250 g half-white flour
- 10 g corn starch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Mash the cooked hokkaido pumpkin well.
- Add corn starch and salt and mix it together.
- Then gradually add flour, mix and finally knead with your hands.
- From the dough form gnocchi by first forming a small ball for each gnocchi, press on top with a fork and place on a plate covered with flour.
- Then put the gnocchi in the fridge for at least half an hour.
- Bring salted water to a boil.
- When the water boils, put gnocchi into it and cook them until they float to the surface.
- Take cooked gnocchi out of the water and serve with your favorite sauce.