An exceptional creamy sauce for all mushroom lovers!
This sauce is our favourite way to prepare mushrooms, because it is extremely tasty and at the same time very easy to prepare, the whole preparation takes you less than half an hour! If you love mushrooms, you should definitely try it, as it contains a lot of fresh mushrooms, and a some mushroom powder for a really intense and aromatic taste.
This sauce will impress you by its appearance and taste! It tastes like creamy mushroom sauce, that os often served in restaurants. It used to be our favourite, but unfortunately it is not vegan, because it contains dairy. So of course we had to create our own version that is vegan and way healthier than the one from the restaurants! It does not contain a drop of oil, but it is still full of flavour, creamy and smooth. The creamy look and taste is created by the combination of almond milk and corn starch, which thickens the sauce just right.
The sauce goes well with a side of gnocchi, potatoes, rice or pasta. This time we served it with delicious homemade pumpkin gnocchi.
The main ingredient of this delicious sauce are of course fresh mushrooms, we usually use brown champignons, which are very tasty and at the same time wonderful to look at. You can also use white champignons, porcini mushrooms or any other type of mushroom. Along to fresh mushrooms we like to add a little bit of homemade mushroom powder, which gives the sauce an even more intense mushroom flavour. If you don’t have the powder, you can easily skip it and the sauce will still be very tasty.
Spices are also very important for the excellent taste of the sauce, you need: salt, garlic powder, parsley and soy sauce. Another important ingredient is nutritional yeast, which has a nice cheesy taste. If you haven’t tried it yet, we highly recommend yo to give it a try, as it is a great ingredient to cook with. But if you don’t have it, you can replace it with a little more soy sauce.
The rest of the ingredients that you need are onion, almond milk and corn starch. Almond milk combined with corn starch creates a creamy look and taste of the sauce. It is recommended to use sugar-free almond milk, which has a neutral taste and is therefore also suitable for salty dishes.
Vegan creamy mushroom sauce
- 1 medium onion
- 380 g champignons
- 200 ml water
- 3 g garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 g mushroom powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 g nutritional yeast
- 100 ml almond milk
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 5 g corn starch + 10 g water to mix
- Peel and chop the onion and cut the mushrooms into thin slices.
- Put water in the pan and bring it to a boil.
- When it starts boiling add chopped onion and mushrooms into the pan.
- Add garlic powder, mushroom powder, parsley, salt and yeast flakes.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook on medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes (or until the mushrooms are soft).
- Add almond milk and soy sauce.
- Mix the corn starch with water, pour it into the sauce and keep mixing so that there will be no lumps.
- Cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, so that the sauce thickenss.
- Serve with gnocchi, rice, mashed potatoes or pasta.