Rice balls that are crunchy on the outside and very soft on the inside are a perfect healthy meal.
Rice is a very versatile ingredient, that is on our menu all the time. It can be used for savoury and sweet meals (for example milk rice) and in so many different ways. Most of you probably eats it mostly as a side dish or risotto, but there are so many other creative ways to use it in meals. One of those are these delicious rice balls. They are made with only a few ingredients, so they are incredibly simple to make and very healthy. And on top of all that, they are so delicious!
How to fry them?
We always fry them in our air fryer, as we do most of the foods, but you can also fry them in some oil. However you fry them, they will get a very crunchy crust and will stay soft on the inside. If you add a little piece of vegan cheese in the middle, you will get a heavenly delicious rice balls.
This time we used black rice, because we really like the texture and taste of it. But of course you can make the balls from any kind of rice, but it is better to choose a bit stickier kind, so the balls stick together and don’t fall apart.
If you haven’t tried black rice yet, we highly recommend it, because it is very delicious and has many health benefits. It contains many antioxidants and is supposed to help prevent heart diseases, cancer, diabetes and help with weight loose. As all of the other rices, it is also gluten free.
One of the main differences between black rice and other kinds is that it has to cook for around 45 minutes, and it gets a slightly red colour. Here is another idea how you can prepare black rice.
Vegan rice balls
- 130 g black rice
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- fresh parsley
- 1 tbs flaxseeds soak in water for a bit
- other spices of your choosing we added homemade vegeta - a mix of different vegetables
- Cook the rice (for a little longer than usual so it becomes more sticky) and let it cool down.
- Then add all of the ingredients and mix it all together.
- Take ⅛ of the mixture and form it into a circle.
- Put some vegan cheese in the middle, close it and form into a ball.
- Roll them in corn flakes crumbs mixed with sesame seeds.
- Put all of the balls in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Then fry them in air fryer on 200°C for 20 minutes (or fry them in some oil).