Stuffed hokkaido pumpkin is the perfect healthy and delicious lunch or dinner, full of vitamins and great to enjoy on a cold autumn day.
Roasted hokkaido pumpkin on itself is already very tasty, as it is very creamy with a slightly sweet taste, but when stuffed with a rich filling, it is simply impossible to resist! The filling is very juicy and the preparation is extremely easy. It is made from brown lentils, oats, walnuts, flax seeds and carrots and for the perfect flavour, we added some onion, garlic, parsley, celery, dry basil, dry oregano, salt and pepper.
This dish is extremely healthy, full of vitamins and minerals, because it is prepared from whole ingredients and does not contain any oil and flour. If you are sensitive to gluten, you can also easily make this dish gluten-free by replacing oats with gluten-free oats.
Hokkaido pumpkins are not only beautiful to look at and useful only for decoration, but they are also extremely tasty and can be used to prepare countless different dishes, from desserts and soups all the way to main dishes. Pumpkins are extremely healthy, as they contain many vitamins, they are especially high in vitamin A and C, and have many health benefits. They are also very low in calories, because they contain a lot of water, so you can eat as much of it as your heart desires.
Despite the fact that raw pumpkin is very hard and difficult to cut, it softens very quickly in the oven and becomes extremely creamy. The peel is also edible and softens nicely in the oven, so you can eat the whole stuffed pumpkin.
If you haven’t tried this exceptional pumpkin yet, now is the right time, as it’s pumpkin season and you can easily find them in stores or at the market. We are extremely lucky to have lots in the garden, so we use them constantly in our kitchen. We already have quite a collection of different pumpkin recipes, both for savoury dishes and desserts, some of which you can find below.
Other pumpkin recipes
Savoury pumpkin dishes
- pumpkin patties – they are great for making a delicious burger,
- pumpkin soup – is extremely creamy and delicious, the perfect lunch or appetizer for cold autumn days,
- savoury pie – this pie has a smooth and juicy pumpkin cream and crispy dough.
- pumpkin cake – extremely juicy cake, pleasantly spiced with pumpkin spices,
- pumpkin pie – an exceptional dessert that will impress you with the taste of pumpkin and spices,
- pumpkin donuts – with a tender texture and a wonderful pumpkin and cinnamon aroma, these donuts are a perfect dessert or even breakfast,
- pumpkin-chocolate fudge – pumpkin, chocolate and spices create a great combination of flavors that you simply can’t resist!
Stuffed hokkaido pumpkin
- 2 small hokkaido pumpkins each about 1 kg
- 6 g ground flax seeds + 20 ml of water
- 40 g cooked brown lentils
- 30 g oat flour
- 70 g carrot
- 5 g parsley
- 5 g celery
- 1/2 onion 50 g
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 15 g walnuts
- 70 ml water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano
- Cut off the top of the pumpkin and remove the seeds.
- Soak flaxseed in water and let it stand for at least 15 minutes.
- Chop parsley, celery, garlic, walnuts and onion with a knife, grate the carrots and place in a bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients, including soaked flax seeds, and mix well.
- Fill pumpkins with the mixture and place them on the baking tray.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes at 200°C.