Crispy and golden fried pancake cannelloni stuffed with vegan cheese and vegan salami are a delicious addition to meals.
Pancake cannelloni are an extremely tasty dish that will impress you with the texture and combination of flavours! They’re not made with pasta like regular cannelloni, but with pancakes! Pancakes are then filled with vegan cheese, salami, spices, rolled and breaded. A crispy, golden-baked crust and soft center with vegan salami cheese that melts in your mouth will make you drool. You can eat them along baked or fried potatoes or as a main dish. They are also delicious when cold, so you can take them on the go, to work or school. These cannelloni really impressed our family, so we will definitely make them again soon! We are sure that they will become a staple in your kitchen as well.
We fried cannelloni in oil but you can also bake them in the oven or in an air fryer, as they also get a crispy crust, but are not as golden as dried ones. If you are going to bake them in the oven, heat it to 200 °C and bake for 20–30 minutes.
Ingredients and instructions
Preparing cannelloni is very easy, doesn’t take much time and you only need 11 simple ingredients for pancakes, filling and breading!
- for pancakes
- plant based milk,
- for the filling
- vegan cheese,
- vegan salami,
- dry basil,
- dry oregano,
- for breading
- crumbs and
- olive oil for frying.
First bake 4 pancakes in larger pan, because they are easier to fill and roll. Once you have the pancakes ready, put a slice of vegan cheese in the middle of each one, add some basil and oregano, cover with vegan salami and roll as showed on the photos below. You can also add some other things, like mushrooms, corn, spinach etc. Once the pancakes are stuffed, it’s time to bread them. Dip the rolled pancakes into a mixture of flour, turmeric and water, roll them in breadcrumbs and then fry in olive oil. For easier preparation see the photos of the process below.
Vegan pancake cannelloni
- 180 g spelt flour
- 350 ml almond milk
- pinch of salt
- 4 slics of vegan cheese
- 4 slices of vegan salami
- dry basil
- dry oregano
- 40 g flour
- a pinch of turmeric
- 1 dl water
- 80 g breadcrumbs
- olive oil for frying
- Put flour and salt in a bowl, add almond milk and mix everything together into a smooth batter.
- Let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Put a teaspoon of coconut oil in the pan and heat it up. When the oil is hot, pour a quarter of the batter into the pan and spread it all over the pan.
- Bake for about half a minute. Reduce the heat by a third so that the pancakes do not burn, turn the pancake over and bake it on the other side for another 30 seconds. Repeat with the rest of the batter to get 4 pancakes.
- Put cheese in the middle of the pancake, add basil and oregano and cover with salami.
- Wrap the pancake by first folding the bottom over, folding it on both sides and then roll. If the pancakes do not stay rolled,you can use a toothpick to hold the together.
- Mix flour with turmeric and water and place on a plate.
- Put breadcrumbs on another plate.
- Dip each cannelloni into the flour mixture first, then roll in breadcrumbs stick to the cannelloni.
- Heat olive oil in a pan. When it is hot, place the cannelloni in it and fry until they get a nice golden color, then turn and fry on the other side.