Lemon cake with poppy seeds is a real refreshment in these hot summer days!
This soft and tasty lemon cake is a real hit this summer, because it has a refreshing taste and is very easy to prepare. You only need one bowl to mix all the ingredients together for this exceptional cake. Poppy seeds, lemon zest and lemon juice create a great harmony of flavors that will make sure you reach for more than one piece of cake. We baked it three times in one week, because all our family really loved it and we ran out of the cake in an instant. You can enjoy it for a snack, dessert, it’s also great for breakfast, especially with a cup of hot coffee or a refreshing natural juice. You can also take it with you on the road, to school or to work.
This cake is extremely soft and juicy and you only need one bowl and 9 ingredients to make it. These are:
- flour – we used semi-white flour, but you can also use white flour,
- baking powder,
- baking soda,
- lemon zest– we purchased organic lemon zest, but you can also grate the peel yourself, just use organic lemons,
- coconut sugar,
- poppy seeds– gives the cake a wonderful look and taste,
- plant based milk – we used rice milk, but you can use your favorite one,
- lemon juice – use fresh lemon juice, not concentrate, and
- coconut oil – makes cakes very juicy and soft.
Preparing cakes is very easy, so it’s a great idea for when you don’t have a lot of time to bake or get unannounced visits, so you can serve them a delicious homemade dessert that all guests will love.
First, place the dry ingredients in a bowl, mix, add wet ingredients and mix again with a whisk or hand mixer. Pour into a baking pan and bake for 30 minutes. You can top the cake with coconut or any other yogurt, sprinkle it with a little poppy seeds or lemon zest to spice it up and make it taste even better.
Vegan lemon cake with poppy seeds
- 300 g flour
- 12 g baking powder
- 8 g baking soda
- 5 g lemon zest
- 60 g coconut sugar
- 20 g poppy seeds
- 340 ml plantbased milk at room temperature
- 50 ml lemon juice
- 40 g coconut oil melted
- Put all of the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, lemon zest, coconut sugar and poppy seeds) in a bowl and mix them.
- Add plantbased milk, lemon juice and coconut oil and mix well with a whisk or hand mixer.
- Pour into a baking dish (30 cm x 11 cm) lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 30 minutes in a preheated oven at 180 °C.
- Once the cake is baked, place it on a cooling rack and let it cool down a bit, then pour coconut yoghurt over it if desired.