These donuts filled with delicious apricot jam are the fluffiest treat.
Berliners are traditionally baked around holiday called pust. On this holiday we dress up in costumes (like on Halloween) and make these delicious fried donuts. These are similar to American donuts, but they don’t have central hole. They are really fluffy, soft, filled with lots of jam and sprinkled with some powdered sugar.
They are made with sweet yeast dough and are fried in oil. Usually they are filled with apricot jam, but you can also use other flavours (like strawberry, plum, blueberry, raspberry and even chocolate). Choose your preferred filling and make the best Berliners. They made insanely delicious treat that is not too sweet.
We used to think that they are so hard to make, so we never tried making them. But since we became vegan, we have to make our own, because there aren’t so many vegan options of these delicious donuts. And they really aren’t hard to make. With this recipe you will become master of donuts.
Tips for soft and fluffy donuts:
- It’s important that it’s really warm in your kitchen, so you should warm it up before you start making donuts.
- Oil temperature can’t be too low or too high. You can check it with toothpick. Put it in the oil and see if few little bubbles start to form around it, this means it is the right temperature(if there are many bubbles it may be too hot).
You can also check out video recipe for easier preparation.
Vegan Berliner donuts
- pipping bag
- 1 kg flour
- 60 ml coconut oil
- 42 g fresh yeast
- 500 ml rice milk
- 120 g coconut sugar
- 35 g agave syrup
- lemon zest
- 2 tsp rum
- 2 tsp vanilla sugar
- 1 pinch turmeric for coloring
- 1 pinch salt
- sunflower oil (for frying)
- powdered sugar (for topping)
- jam (apricot, blueberry, raspberry, plum)
- The key to nice and fluffy donuts is a warm place to where you make donuts. So before you start baking, make sure your kitchen is really warm.
- Mix yeast, 6 tablespoons of warm water, 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1 spoon of milk together and put it in a warm place for around 15 minutes until it raises.
- Mix all of the wet ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl sift flour. Then add salt, lemon zest, coconut sugar, turmeric and mix it well together.
- Make a hole in the middle and add wet ingredients.
- Mix it all together into a smooth dough( for about 15 minutes). Cover the dough and let it rest in a warm place for about half an hour.
- When the dough is ready cut it into 16 pieces and form each one into a ball. Cover them or put in the oven on 30°C to rise.
- Then warm up the oil. You can check if the oil temperature is ok with a toothpick, put it in the oil and see if little bubbles start to form around it, this means it is the right temperature(if there are many bubbles it may be too hot). During the process lower the temperature of oil to 1/3.
- Put the donut in oil and imediatelly cover the pot with a lid. Fry them for around 3 minutes and then turn around and fry 3 more minutes on the other side. This time don't cover them with lid.
- When the donut is fryed put it on a tray and put some paper towels under so that the oil can drip from the donut. Let it rest for a few minutes.
- Then fill it with jam. Cover with powdered sugar and enjoy!