Vegan cream cake is a very simple, yet extremely tasty and amazing dessert. The combination of puff pastry, light vanilla cream and fluffy whipped cream is simply impossible to resist!
We’ve finally created our own recipe for the vegan version of the famous cream cake! Cream cake is an amazing and delicious dessert that origins from Bled, Slovenia. It consists of four incredible layers: pastry, vanilla cream, whipped cream and another layer of pastry sprinkled with some powdered sugar for a nice touch.
Cream cakes are our father’s favourite dessert, so this year we’ve decided to make a vegan recipe and prepare our own version of cream cake for his birthday. We always procrastinated with the preparation of cream cakes, because we thought the preparation was very difficult, as there are a lot of eggs and dairy products in the original recipe. However, the fear was really redundant as it came out absolutely amazing with completely vegan ingredients. Crispy, golden yellow baked dough, light and fluffy vanilla cream and whipped cream create a divine combination of flavours and textures that is simply impossible to resist.
Ingredients and preparation
You only need 6 ingredients to make delicious cream slices without eggs and milk and it only takes a good half an hour to prepare. The ingredients you need are:
- puff pastry – we used store bought frozen vegan puff pastry,
- plant-based drink – you can use your favourite plant-based drink, we used almond drink as it has a very neutral taste,
- vegan whipped cream,
- Galetta cream pudding powder,
- powdered sugar and
- vanilla sugar.
Preparation is really easy, as you only need to roll out the dough into two rectangles, poke holes with a fork so that it does not rise too much and then bake for 10 to 15 minutes at 200 °C. While the pastry is baking, you can prepare vanilla cream by putting all of the ingredients in a bowl and beat with a hand mixer until you get thick and fluffy cream. Then spread it on the crust, put whipped cream on top and finish with another layer of pastry. Place cake in the fridge overnight to allow the cream to harden a bit and the layers to stick together nicely. The next day, sprinkle them with powdered sugar, cut into 12 pieces and serve. Enjoy !
Vegan cream cake
- 500 pastry dough
- 5 dl almond drink
- 5 dl vegan whipping cream
- 250 g Galetta cream pudding powder
- 100 g powdered sugar
- 16 g vanilla sugar
- 4 dl vegan whipping cream
- Divide the dough into two parts and roll each into a rectangle measuring 30 cm x 24 cm.
- Poke holes into a crust with a fork and then bake for 10 to 15 minutes in a preheated oven at 180 °C. Then let it cool down.
- Prepare the cream by putting all of the ingredients in a bowl and beating with a whisk until you get a thick cream.
- Place one sheet of baked dough on the bottom of the baking tray, coat with vanilla cream, whipped cream and cover with the other sheet of dough.
- Let the cake rest in the fridge overnight, and the next day sprinkle it with powdered sugar and cut into 12 pieces.