Stuffed eggplants are an amazing delicious and healthy dish, perfect for the summertime when there are so many eggplants in the garden!
This recipe is really simple, delicious and healthy, it is a great lunch or dinner and doesn’t require a lot of work. It is one of our favourite dishes to make, when we are too busy to spend hours in the kitchen and we like to take it on the go, since it’s really convenient to pack. You can enjoy stuffed eggplants as a side dish or as a main dish, like we did. We usually enjoy them with some baked potato or sweet potato on the side.
We just love eggplants and this is our favourite way to prepare them! Eggplants are a great low calorie vegetable, so they are a great base to use for stuffing with some healthy calories. They are also very rich in nutrients, high in fiber and have many health benefits. And the taste and texture are just amazing, nicely creamy and soft, so there are so many reasons to include them in your diet.
This stuffing is so juicy and delicious, made with healthy ingredients and without any oil! The main ingredients are lentils and soya mince, that both have a very nice texture for the stuffing. Other ingredients are many spices, which are the most important to get a really amazing flavour and some tomato sauce to make the stuffing juicy. We also add the leftover parts of eggplants that we carve out, so nothing goes to waste. We sometimes also add some fresh vegetables to add even more vitamins. If you like you can also add some vegan cheese on top of stuffed eggplant, so it melts nicely and makes them even more delicious, although they are also heavenly on their own!
This stuffing can also be used for zucchinis, pumpkins, sweet potato… And if you add a bit more tomato sauce you can even use it as a sauce to go with some pasta.
- 2 eggplants
- 60 g lentils
- 40 g soya mince
- 30 ml water or one tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 200 g tomato sauce
- black pepper
- garlic powder
- dry basil
- dry oregano
- Cut eggplants in half and carve out the middle of each half. Keep the carved part for the stuffing.
- Pour 150 ml of boiling water on soya mince and let it soak for at least 10 minutes.
- Put water in a pot and bring to a boil. When it's boiling add lentils and cook for around 25 minutes or until it becomes soft.
- Put 30 ml of wate (or 1tbsp of oil) in a pan and heat it up.
- Add chopped onions and garlic and cook until it softens and gets a nice colour.
- Add presoaked soya mince, leftover eggplant, cooked lentils, spices and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, mix it all together and cook it all together for a few more minutes.
- Put stuffing in the eggplants and put on a pan covered with baking sheet.
- Bake for around 30-40 minut at 190°C.