A combination of potatoes, tomato sauce with lentils and creamy sauce on top makes this perfect dish! And a thin crunchy crust on top adds a final touch and makes it irresistable!
If you haven’t had vegan moussaka yet, you have to try out this recipe! We have actually made it for the first time, but it came out so perfect and tasty. This takes a bit of time to prepare, but it’s definitely worth it. We’re sure this will become your go to comfort food, because it’s just that good. It has layers of potatoes, tomato sauce with soya mince and lentils and creamy sauce on top. Moussaka is really filling and so delicious, perfect for lunch or dinner!
Filling is made with only healthy ingredients: tomato sauce, soya mince, lentils, onion and spices. We love to use soya mince in our dishes, since it’s a great source of protein and has a neutral taste so it absorbs flavours very well. Soya mince is really easy to prepare. It’s usually dry when you purchase it and has to be soaked to use it.
We just pour some boiling water over it and leave it for 5 to 10 minutes to absorb the water. Then you can also use it for bolognese sauce, lasagna, stuffed sweet potato and eggplant… There are so many options!
In our opinion the best part of this amazing moussaka is the creamy sauce on top. It adds a final touch to this amazing dish. It’s perfectly creamy, thick and tastes heavenly. It’s made with:
- soy cream,
- soy sauce, nutritional yeast,
- corn starch,
- salt and
- garlic powder.
And it’s so quick to make, you just put al the ingredients into a blender and blend into a smooth cream. And when it is baked it forms a perfect thin crunchy crust on top.
We made this video to make it easier for you to follow the recipe.
- 600 g potatoes
- 1 onion
- 50 g lentils
- 50 g soya mince
- 200 g tomato sauce
- dry basil
- dry oregano
- 100 g tofu
- 200 g soy cream
- 7 ml soy sauce
- 10 g nutritional yeast
- 20 g corn starch
- garlic powder
- Put potatoes in cold water and bring to a boil.
- Cook until they become soft.
- Then peel them and vut in circles.
- In a pan boil some water and add chopped onion. (you can also use oil instead of water)
- Cook onion until it gets soft.
- Then add cooked lentils and presoaked soya mince.
- Add tomato sauce and spices and cook for few more minutes.
- Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend until you get a smooth cream.
- Cover the bottom of a pan with 1/3 of potatoe slices.
- Spread half of tomato filling on it and cover with another third of potatoes.
- Spread the rest of tomato filling and cover with the rest of potatoes.
- Pour creamy sauce on top and spread it evenly.
- Bake on 200°C for 40 to 50 minutes.
- Cut and enjoy!