Delicious savoury pastry filled with Swiss chard and tofu.
Burek is a delicious food, made with very thin and stretchy dough and different kinds of fillings. You can fill it with potatoes, spinach, zucchini, soya mince or even apples and enjoy it as a dessert, there are countless variations of burek! Our mom makes the best Swiss chard or spinach one, she always makes her own dough, that is so good and stretches very nicely, but you can also use store bought one for easier and quicker version. It’s great for lunch or dinner, and you can enjoy it hot or cold, it’s delicious either way.
We can’t get tired of it, because it’s so delicious and also healthy, since it’s made with homemade dough, and our version contains very little oil.
Dough is made with just 3 simple ingredients:
For the delicious stuffing we used lots of Swiss chard and spinach (but you can also use only spinach), firm tofu, onions, garlic and spices. This combo with amazing crunchy dough is irresistable!
Swiss chard burek
- 750 g flour
- 400 ml cold water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 onions
- 5 clove garlic
- 250 g tofu
- 1 kg swiss chard or spinach
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- Pour water and olive oil on the flour and mix and knead until you get a smooth dough.
- Form into a ball and cover with a bit of olive oil. Tightly cover with foil, so it won't get dry and put in the fridge for at least half an hour.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and add chopped onions and garlic. Sautee for 5 to 10 minutes, until it softenes.
- Add crumbled tofu, you can crumble it with your hands. Cook for a few minutes and then add swiss chard or spinach.
- Add all of the spices, mix together and cook until swiss chard softenes.
- Roll out the dough with rolling pin and then also stretch it with your hands so it becomes very thin. You can stretch it at once or make a few small ones if you don't have a large space.
- Put filling all over the dough.
- Roll the dough and put it on the baking pan previously coated with olive oil. You can coat burek with oil so it becomes more crunchy once it's baked.
- Bake for about 45 minutes on 200°C. Put a bowl of water at the bottom of the oven for a crunchier burek.