Sweet dumplings made from scratch are a great dessert or even lunch and they are way simpler to make, than you could imagine.
We love making potato dumplings with different fruits. One of our favourites are strawberries (as you can see), plums and apricots. They are all very sweet and juicy and add a perfect fruity flavour.
You can enjoy this dumplings guilt-free, because they are made without any sugar or oil, with just 6 ingredients! The main ingredients are cooked potato and flour (we use half white flour) and the rest of the ingredients are maple syrup for some healthy sweetness, soy yoghurt and corn starch. That’s all you need to make some amazing dumplings! And fruit of your choice in the middle of course, but if you are not the biggest fan of fruits you can even use a spoon of vegan chocolate spread! We tried it before and it tasted incredible.
Dumplings are also a great way to use some leftover cooked potatoes. You just have to throw in a few more ingredients and you can have a great sweet meal or dessert.
You can even enjoy them for lunch. We usually eat a little bit of homemade soup before and then these sweet dumplings that we sprinkle with ground and roasted walnuts and cinnamon and add a bit of cooked strawberries (or some other fruits that we are using for dumplings) on the side to dip dumplings in it. We just love cooked strawberries and the amazing aroma that they create while cooking.
Vegan strawberry dumplings
- 250 g peeled potato
- 160 g half white flour
- 5 g corn starch
- 5 g maple syrup or agave syrup
- 40 g soy yoghurt
- 4 strawberries fresh or frozen
- Cut potatoes into small pieces, put in a pot with cold water and bring to a boil.
- Lower the temperature and cook until potato becomes very soft (for 20-30 minutes).
- When it is cooked, take it out of the water and mash.
- Wait for it to cool down a bit, then add maple syrup and yoghurt and mix it all together.
- Gradually add flour and corn starch and mix it in. Knead it until you get a soft dough. If it is still a bit sticky, add some more flour.
- Seperate the dough into 4 equal pieces.
- Form each piece into a circle, put strawberry in the middle (you can add a small teaspoon of sugar if you prefer it sweeter) and carefully close it and form into a ball. Put it on a plate covered with flour.
- Cover dumplings with foil and put in the fridge for around one hour.
- Then put water in a wide pot and bring to a boil.
- When it's boiling put dumplings in water, lower the temperature and cook for 15 minutes (make sure it's boiling all the time).
- Meanwhile prepare walnuts or bread crumbs, whichever you like better. We use walnut meal and put it in a hot pan for one minute, so it gets a very good flavour.
- When dumplings are cooked, put them on a plate, sprinkle with walnuts and cinnamon. If you like, you can also sprinkle some vanilla flavoured sugar for a perfect taste.
- You can also prepare some cooked strawberries on the side to dip dumplings in them.