Juicy and soft carrot cake made with spelt flour and full of spices will impress you with its divine taste and easy preparation.
Since we had a huge amount of carrots laying in the fridge, we have decided that it was finally time to bake the long-awaited carrot cake. We have wanted to prepare it for quite some time, because we love desserts that contain vegetables! Plus, the carrot cake is perfect for Easter baking! Preparation is very easy and quick, you only need one bowl to mix all of the ingredients.
The cake is very juicy, soft and tasty, as carrots, spices and almond butter create a wonderful combination of flavours and perfect texture. If you want to sneak some veggies into your desserts, carrots are a great idea, because they don’t have very strong taste but they make the cake juicy and sweet and also add vitamins and minerals. We added some vegan whipped cream in between two layers of cake and coated the whole cake with it. We decorated it with some Biscoff spread and homemade easter eggs for the perfect Easter look. We will definitely make it again soon, as it was gone in minutes, thanks to its incredible taste and texture. The cake is quite healthy, as it is made from spelt flour, contains a lot of carrots and delicious spices, and contains only almond butter as a healthy source of fats instead of oil. You can make cake with whipped cream, like we did or bake only sponge cake, as it tastes incredible on its own! We can say that this cake was a real hit, as it ran out in an instant, everyone was so excited about it.
Ingredients and procedure
Preparation is really easy and you only need 13 ingredients to make the cake, some of which are spices.
- spelt flour,
- baking powder,
- baking soda,
- coconut sugar – you can also use white or brown sugar, erythritol,
- almond butter – a great healthy alternative to oil,
- almond milk – you can use any other plant based drink,
- maple syrup – you can also use agave or rice syrup,
- spices (cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, cloves) and
- vegan whipped cream.
You only need one bowl in which you mix the dry ingredients first, add the wet ones and mix everything together. Pour batter into a cake pan and bake for about 20 minutes. When the cake has cooled, slice it into two layers, coat with whipped cream and decorate as desired. Quite simple but very tasty!
If you like healthy desserts with hidden vegetables and fruits, check out our recipes for:
Vegan carrot cake
- 240 g (1⅔ cup) spelt flour
- 12 g (1 tbsp) baking powder
- 8 g (1 tsp) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- a pinch of cloves
- 35 g (¼ cup) coconut sugar
- 200 g (4 medium) carrots
- 30 g (2 tbsp) almond butter
- 240 ml (1 cup) almond milk
- 20 g (1 tbsp) maple syrup
- 100 g (1/2 cup) vegan whipped cream
- Put all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Add wet ingredients and grated carrots into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a round cake (diameter 20cm/8") pan and bake for 20-25 minutes in a preheated oven at 180 °C (350 °F).
- Once the cake is baked, remove it from the pan, place on a cooling rack and wait for it to cool down.
- Then cut it into two layers.
- Place the first layer of cake on a plate and coat with some almond milk, coat with whipped cream, place the second layer of cake on it and coat the whole cake with whipped cream.
- You can decorate the cake with some cinnamon and Easter eggs.